Displaying a time in mm:ss format
I'm having trouble getting this to work. I've tried repeatedly setting the format of cells to mm:ss but it doesn't seem to 'take'. I've been successful in applying different formats to data in the past so what might I be doing wrong in this case? I
just want to enter my 5K running times in minutes and seconds. I've been working round it using the hh:mm:ss format and putting my minutes figures in the hours part, seconds in the minutes part and 00 for the 'real' seconds part but I now want to manipulate
the data and of course it's getting screwed up... Thanks for reading.
Anwsers to the Problem Displaying a time in mm:ss format
Although you can format the cell as [m]:ss, you must still enter the data in the form h:mm:ss. But that's a bummer when trying to copy-and-paste data from websites with race results.
Rereading your question, I see you said, "I just want to enter my
5K running times". So you probably do not have that much data. And it sounds like you are only asking about manual data entry.
Just to clarify: when I said, "you must still enter the data in the form h:mm:ss", I meant, for example, if you ran a slow 5K (or let's say a 10K :->) in 65m 31s, you need to enter it manually as 1:5:31. If you ran a 5K in 28m 17s, you need to enter it
If you already entered 65:31 into A1, for example, that is interpreted as 2d 17h 31m. You can convert it by entering the following formula in B1 perhaps:
which you can format as [m]:ss if you wish.
But I recommend ROUND(A1*1440,0)/86400 to minimize computer binary arithmetic anomalies. (My particular example works fine without rounding. You might not be so luck with other data.)
If you want to replace A1 with the converted value, you can copy B1, select A1, then right-click and click on Paste Special > Value. You will need to format A1 as [m]:ss. Then you can delete B1.
Note: It is recommended that you back up your files and folders before attempting this step:
- Move the mouse cursor over to the upper right side of the screen.
- A menu will pop up on the left. Click on the "Settings" feature on the menu.
- On the Settings window, click on the "Change PC settings."
- Now, left click on the "Update and recovery" feature.
- For the next step, left click on the "Recovery" feature.
- There is an option here saying "Refresh your PC without affecting your files." There, left click on the "Get started" button.
- Now, follow the instructions on the screen to finish the Refresh process.
- After the Refresh process has finished restart your Windows 8.1 or Windows 8 device.
- Check again to see if the error Displaying a time in mm:ss format has been fixed.
If you do not possess the technical expertise required to accomplish this yourself or do not feel comfortable doing so, download and install a powerful automated tool to get the job done.
Another Safe way to Repair the Problem: Displaying a time in mm:ss format:
How to Fix Displaying a time in mm:ss format with SmartPCFixer?
1. Click the button to download SmartPCFixer . Install it on your system. Open it, and it will perform a scan for your system. The junk files will be shown in the scan result.
2. After the scan is finished, you can see the errors and problems which need to be repaired.
3. The Fixing part is finished, the speed of your computer will be much higher than before and the errors have been removed.
Related: Way to Update & Download SONY SVE14A2X1EH Wireless State Device driver,How to Update & Download SONY SVS1511X9RB Graphics Driver for D2 (Intel) v.9.17 - 188.8.131.5228,Method to Download SONY VGN-CR290N Realtek High Definition Audio Driver v.184.108.40.20633,Download SONY VGN-FS710/W Utilities DLL Update v.6.4.0.06290 driver,Method to Update & Download SONY VGN-NR460E/P Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver v.220.127.116.1147,How to Fix Error 0x0000c1f5 Solución?,Error 0x80071a91 Win7 Fix Patch,Error 0x800ccc60 Windows Live Mail [Solved],Error Message 0x800ccc79 Outlook 2000 Fix,What is Error 0xc1ab0001?,[Answered] x64 saplugin dll,How to Fix Problem - Kb943729 Download?,Troubleshooting: Bccode D1 Error,Java Runtime Tech Support,Troubleshooting: ERROR NO SUCH GROUP Error,Solution to ashoutxt.dll Missing Error,Solution to cxcore096.dll Missing Error,Where can I Find dsauth.dll File,How to Fix msde.dll Not Found Error,Best Method to Fix psizewizres.dll Error
Read More: Solution to Error: Display Cell Size (Row and Column Width) on the Standard Toolbar,How to Fix Problem - Download problems with VISTA?,Fast Solution to Error: Does anyone knows why my Excel file has by default to put any cell in Date format? And how can I change this to always start in General format?,Solution to Error: DJ Inkers will not work on Windows 7. Is there a way to make it work?,How to Fix Problem - downloaded Visual Studio 2010 ultimate from MSDNAA & can't launch?,Data validation question. Maintaining and updating named ranges.,Desktop Gadget Gallery on Windows 7,delete empty rows,Deleting a page and also how can I copy an exact page lay out on a new page,Date Formula for 1st Sunday of each Month (3rd to 9th)